This replenishing smoothie will bring you back to life when menstrual cramps and fatigue hit. It's packed with magnesium, iron and tryptophan - exactly what your body needs during your period.
- Magnesium soothes cramps (1).
- Iron is essential for the formation of new red blood cells after blood loss (2).
- Tryptophan eases mood swings (3,4).
Perfect for breakfast or a snack, this smoothie is delectable without spiking your blood sugar levels - making it a healthier alternative for those chocolate and sugar cravings.
Oatmeal, oat milk & flaxseed
Oats are high in fiber, protein, iron and complex carbohydrates. Flax seeds are also dense in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and protein, providing additional aid in digestion.
Energy and protein-rich cashews are packed with unsaturated fatty acids. Because they are high in magnesium and potassium, they provide good support for your muscles and nerves. Cashews are also particularly high in tryptophan, which can make you happy (3,4).
Magnesium helps with menstrual cramps, and maybe even hangovers (1,5).
TIP: Soft, soaked nuts are easier to digest.
Magnesium and potassium help our cells and muscles keep us fit. Potassium is also a diuretic (it makes you pee), and helps maintain the water balance in the body as well as regulating blood sugar levels.
Dates are a wonderful sweetener because they're full of fiber and tryptophan unlike other sugars. Tryptophan aids in the production of serotonin and can help ease mood swings.
Cocoa Powder (or Raw Cacao!)
Science has proven that chocolate can actually brighten your mood (6). It's full of magnesium, iron (even more than beef!) and flavonoids, phytochemicals known to help with inflammation.
Oh, and one more thing: Raw cacao is preferred to roasted cocoa because valuable nutrients can be destroyed by the heating process.
- 20g cashews (soak for at least 2 hours, but best soaked overnight)
- 2 dates
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened, raw cacao is preferred)
- 1 banana
- 30g rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed
- 100ml oat milk (or whatever you prefer)
- Mash soaked cashews, chopped dates, flax seeds, banana, cocoa powder and 2/3 of oatmeal together with the milk in a strong blender to a creamy smoothie.
- Pour into a large glass.
- Roast the remaining oatmeal in a small pan and sprinkle for garnish.
- Enjoy !